Most Common Causes of Varicose Veins & Spider Veins
Posted: April 23, 2018
Varicose veins and spider veins are very common. In fact, millions of men and women develop these ugly, diseased veins every year in the U.S. While in some cases, varicose veins and spider veins cause few symptoms, other times they can cause issues like pain, heaviness or fatigued feelings in the areas that are affected by the veins. No matter what, with or without symptoms, varicose veins and spider veins can be a sign of a serious underlying leg vein disease – and they should never be ignored.
What causes varicose veins and spider veins?
Your veins contain tiny valves that keep the blood flowing back toward your heart. If these valves become damaged or begin to malfunction, varicose veins can form. The most common causes of varicose veins include:
- •leading a sedentary lifestyle, which can result in poor circulation
- •obesity, which increases pressure on the vessel walls
- •hormone changes, including changes that occur during menopause or when taking birth control pills
- •standing or sitting for long periods of time, as well as occupations that involve long periods of standing or sitting
- •underlying blood vessel disease or heart-related problems
Spider veins are much smaller damaged veins that tend to appear in clusters, forming a weblike appearance that gives them their name. Spider veins can occur with varicose veins, when “backed-up” blood causes increased pressure inside these tiny veins, stretching the vein walls and damaging them. Other causes include:
- •sun damage
- •hormone changes especially change in estrogen levels
- •age-related changes in the blood vessels
- •birth control pills and hormone replacement therapy
- •heredity – if you have family members with spider veins, you’re more likely to have them yourself
- •smoking, which damages the tiny veins and causes them to become dilated, inflamed and visible
Varicose and Spider Vein Treatment
Today, there are a wide array of vein treatment options designed to eliminate unhealthy varicose veins and spider veins, helping you improve your circulatory health and your overall health and wellness too. Today’s minimally-invasive vein treatments can be performed without anesthesia and without downtime, which means you can get the treatment you need for better health without disrupting your normal routine. The key to getting the best treatment for your needs is to have your varicose veins and spider veins evaluated early so treatment can begin right away before more serious medical problems have a chance to develop.
Find out how to improve your vein health
As a leading vein doctor in Missoula, Montana, Dr. David Bellamah offers comprehensive diagnostic evaluations and vein treatment options to help men and women enjoy optimal vein health. If you have varicose veins or spider veins, don’t ignore them. Call Bellamah Vein Center at (406) 203-1866 and schedule a vein evaluation and consultation appointment today.